When I was seven, I was a such a big Nancy Drew fan that I decided to write my own mystery stories. They probably weren’t very good, but I’ve improved a lot since then.
The point is, I’ve been writing just about all my life.
I’ve managed to incorporate writing and editing into my responsibilities for just about every job I’ve ever had, including while serving my country as a linguist in the United States Air Force for seven years.
In the mid-90s, I worked as a freelance writer and editor, having both fiction and nonfiction published online and in print, and worked as a columnist for the Air Force Times newspaper for a brief period.
In the fall of 2008, I serendipitously fell into the digital marketing and SEO industry, specializing in content marketing and editorial management. In April 2013, when the agency I worked for went under, I co-founded a boutique Web copywriting and editing agency, Passion Fruit Creative Group. After two years, my business partner and I decided to close the business and pursue personal ambitions.
A Little More About Me
- I collect cookbooks, particularly antique ones. I especially love finding old cookbooks with marginalia in them, or stuffed with handwritten family recipes between the books’ pages. It’s like finding hidden treasure. They’ve also served as a bit of content marketing inspiration for me.
- I lived in Europe for nine non-consecutive years—in Spain and Germany—and have visited several other countries including England, Scotland, Ireland, Denmark, Portugal, Turkey, and Mexico.
- I speak Spanish and Russian, and could get around Rome, Paris, and Berlin without too much trouble.
- I love animals, and am a huge animal advocate. I volunteer with animal shelters, and do my best to educate people about pit bulls, a much-maligned and misunderstood breed.
- My husband and I first met in the eighth grade in Rota, Spain. We live with Murphy, the best dog ever (who is also half pit bull); Pyewacket, a mischievous but very lovey Siamese cat; Jonesy, a sweet stray cat we took in; and an ornery cockatiel named Pixie. They’re all rescues, and they add a lot of joy to our lives. I found Murphy on Petfinder.com. I highly recommend adopting a pet if you can.