The goal of my editing service boils down to one thing—making you look good.
When you contact me and provide a sample of your manuscript, I will provide you with a custom quote based on the level of editing required. The rates listed below should give you a ballpark idea of what to expect. My rates are set according to those suggested by the Editorial Freelancers Association’s chart of common editorial rates. (See Chart)
Check out my editing portfolio to see the books I’ve edited and proofed.
Also called line editing, copyediting your manuscript involves much more than simply correcting spelling and grammar errors. My job as an editor is to help your story flow without letting your words get in the way (apologies to Gloria Estefan).
The point is, your writing should be invisible, and your readers should get to the end of your book without realizing how they got there.
- correcting errors in spelling, grammar, and punctuation
- correcting incorrect vocabulary and missing words
- revising awkwardly worded text
- revising text to clarify ambiguities
- eliminating repetitiveness and redundancies
- improving clarity
- identifying and correcting inconsistent style options
- identifying continuity errors, character inconsistencies, and plot holes
Ideally, after copyediting is completed, your manuscript should go through at least one round of proofreading with someone else.
The final quoted rate will depend on the level of editing needed, as determined by examination of the manuscript you send.
0.009+ per word (starting rate)
Contact me for a quote and let’s get started!
- you’re a diehard self-editor, or have had your manuscript professionally edited, and just need another set of eyes to give your manuscript a once-over,
- all you want is for an editor to make sure you used complement instead of compliment when appropriate,
- or you’re looking for a budget-friendly editing option,
proofreading is your best option.
Proofreading entails only correcting blatant errors in spelling, grammar, punctuation, incorrect vocabulary and missing words. If something you’ve written is awkward, but grammatically correct, it will stay that way.
Ideally, before you pursue proofreading, your manuscript should go through at least one round of copyediting with someone else.
Because this is a more superficial edit that tends to go more quickly than copyediting, the rate is lower. The final quoted rate will depend on the level of proofreading needed, as determined by examination of the manuscript you send.
0.007+ per word (starting rate)
Ready to get started? Contact me for a quote!
A Note About Word Counts
My per-word rates are based on the length of your manuscript when you send it to me, not the post-editing word count.
For example, if you send me a 100,000-word manuscript, and after it’s been edited, it contains 99,000 words, I will charge you for 100,000 words. I still have to examine those extra 1,000 words to figure out what to do with them. 🙂
Regardless of which type of book editing you choose, I’ll work with you to make your book the best it can be.
Contact me for a quote!
A Note About Rate Quotes
Requesting a quote puts you under no obligation to proceed with me as your editor or proofreader. By the same token, if, after examining your manuscript sample, I determine it’s not a fit for my focus areas or my schedule, I may not be able to accept your project.
Free Sample Edit or Proof
I offer a free sample edit or proof of 1,000 words for novel-length manuscripts and 500 words for shorter works. If your work is less than 25,000 words, we can discuss a shorter sample edit.
- A 50% deposit is required to reserve time on my calendar. My schedule stays full, so please reserve early enough to accommodate your launch plan.
- The balance will be due once work is completed and before the finished manuscript is returned to you.
- I accept electronic payments through PayPal, with a 3% transaction fee added to the project total. I will also accept checks to help avoid this fee. In that case, the full invoice amount must clear before work can begin, or before your manuscript can be returned to you.
- Payment schedules are available, on a case-by-case basis. Please ask.
- Additional edits or revisions requested after work is complete will be billed at my hourly rate of $50 per hour, with a one-hour minimum.
If you decide to go it alone, or if you’re starting out and don’t quite have the budget to hire an editor yet, check out my book, Self-Editing for Indie Authors: 21 Quick and Easy Tips for Better Writing, Positive Reviews and More Sales.
Those 21 tips cover some of the most common errors and stumbling blocks I see as an editor. But you’ll also find information about the business of being an indie author, self-editing methods, and a list of writing and editing resources to help you.